- He who was delivered over because of our transgressions, and was raised because of our justification. Romans 4:25
Repentance begins with a recognition and confession that what God says about us is true that we have sinned.
- For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against You, You only, I have sinned and done what is evil in Your sight, so that You are justified when You speak and blameless when You judge. Psalm 51:3-4
A genuine recognition of our sinfulness and guilt will also lead to genuine sorrow, shame and even hatred for what we have done.
- For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. Romans 7:15
- Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from this body of death? Romans 7:24
Apparent sincerity of confession alone is never definite evidence of genuine repentance. It must be accompanied by a turning away from sin.
- Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from My sight. Cease to do evil. Isaiah 1:16
- therefore every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Matthew 3:10
- Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1
- and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform. Romans 4:21
Faith Based on The Promises of God
- For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:16
- Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved Acts 16:31
Example of a Believer
- worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh Philippians 3:3
The Basis of Genuine Assurance
- True conversion: A true Christian is a new creation and will live a life that reflects God's radical work of re-creation in his/her life. Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. 2 Corinthians 5:17
- You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? Matthew 7:16
- Assurance is based upon self-examination in the light of Scripture. Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you unless indeed you fail the test? 2 Corinthians 13:5
- These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life. 1 John 5:13
Test of Biblical Assurance
1 John 1:5-7 (Walking in the Light), 1 John 1:8-10 (Confession of Sin), 1 John 2:3-4 (Obedience), 1 John 2:9-11 (Love for the Brethren), 1 John 2:15-17 (Hatred for the World), 1 John 2:24-25 (Perseverance in Doctrine), 1 John 3:10 (Righteousness), 1 John 4:13 (Spirit's Testimony), Hebrews 12:5-8 (Discipline)